Hi, my name is McKenzi.  To get this blog started I want to tell you some a little bit about myself.

To begin, I was born in November of 1999.  That’s where it all began. I was born into a loving family.  A mom and dad that are both born-again Christians, a brother, and a sister.  Up to the age of 5, I was spiritually dead.  I had no eternal life, no Holy Spirit living inside, nothing.  I remember laying in my mom and dad’s bed one night, and I told my dad I was going to get saved.  He said, “okay,” and I rolled over, prayed a simple prayer like, “Jesus please save me.”  I didn’t know what it meant to be saved.  The next day, I ran into my kindergarten teacher’s classroom and told her that I got saved.  I remember the look on her face when I said that, like she knew that I didn’t understand the plan of salvation.  She talked to my mom about me getting saved, and next thing I know I am being called over during recess.  My teacher and I sat on a bench, she had her Bible opened, and I repeated a prayer that she told me to repeat.  I believe that I meant what I was praying, and I believed that Jesus is real and did die for me. I felt different after that moment.  Like something inside clicked.  Like something came inside me and filled my inner being.  My family and I attended church until one day we stopped going.  I noticed the way my parents lived.  I noticed their lifestyle and how it didn’t match up right…

All throughout the years that we didn’t go to church, I kept asking my mom and dad when we were going to go back.  They told me that we needed to go back.  That’s when a storm hit in our lives.  It was the day after I had finished my fifth grade year in elementary.  I woke up early one morning, really early, about 4:30 a.m.  I noticed that my bedroom door was cracked, which is very unusual.  I opened it, saw that the alarm was off and the stick was out of the door, and went into my parents’ bedroom.  I called for them, and there was no answer.  So, I went downstairs and saw someone laying on our couch.  I couldn’t tell if it was my mom or my cousin, so I called back and forth for both.  It was my cousin.  My mom had passed out early in the night when she had gotten up, my dad sat her up on their bed after he got her up, and she was taken to the emergency room by ambulance.  I was so scared and didn’t understand what was completely going on still.  I called my dad and got to talk to him and my mom.  My mom stayed in the hospital for five days, and the doctors still didn’t have a clear answer as to why she passed out.  We went to the emergency room often after her stay in the hospital, and then discovered my mom was suffering anxiety and panic attacks.  I stayed with my aunt for three weeks, my parents stayed for two.  We were in the middle of moving through all of this, and I believe we were all glad to get out of that house after having the memory now of what happened to my mom in there.  I believe this was God’s way of giving us “wake-up” call.  We started going to church again and have ever since.  My dad found a radio station which some of you may know of, K-LOVE.  We listened to it often, and I was so used to country music that I didn’t care for Christian music at first.  Now, I love Christian music so much that that is all I listen to!  It is so encouraging, and you do not have to worry about thinking inappropriate thoughts or hearing inappropriate words while listening to the songs.  In the midst of us going back to church, I got baptized.  We have been to three other churches since then, and are at a place that feels like home.  Our pastor is very very passionate about the Bible, and goes far in depth every time he speaks.  We learn something new every time.  Also, last year, my brother got saved while we were in Orlando with our church!

Ever since I got saved at the age of 5, I have had doubts about my salvation.  I have gone to my parents a few times, and two years ago, I was reassured of my salvation.  I am not perfect, but I have the perfect one living inside of me.  Am I going to still sin and make mistakes?  Yes, because I still have my fleshly being, but I also have the Holy Spirit inside that quickens me when I do wrong.  I have been praying for quite a while now that God would use me as a teenager.  I had no idea how He would do that until recently.  Last year, my great-grandma got very sick and passed away.  She was the sweetest woman, and very dear to my family and I.  The day we found out she was going to hospice was the day I had my second surgery ever in my life.  I had a lesion/abscess come up on me, in which the doctors did not know what it was.  The lesion was removed, and about a month or two later it came back.  My surgeon had retired (I was her last surgery of her whole career), so I had to see a different surgeon.  If the lesion was still there, I was to have another surgery.  The lesion went away,and I went on to live my “normal” life again.  Fast forward to February of this year, 2015.  I started getting real bad pain in my tailbone, and we went to see my orthopedic doctor.  The only think he could think of was that I had something called, coccygodynia (cox-i-jo-dinia…if that helps you pronounce it).  It is a sack of fluid around the tailbone from sitting on hard surfaces.  Two weeks later, I started getting another pain in the same spot where the lesion was from last year.  Guess what?  It came back.  My pediatrician sent me to a different surgeon at the same place, Nemours Children’s Specialty Care.  His name is Dr. Sims.  He wanted to get me out of pain, so he did my surgery right away on a day that he doesn’t normally do surgeries.  The surgery was to last an hour, but instead it was about 2-2 1/2 hours.  Fun, right?  While he was in surgery, he found some tears that looked like they had been there.  So, tailbone pain, lesion pain, now I started to get bad pain from the tears.  Dr. Sims sent me to a gastroenterologist to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy because he said that the lesion that I had that he removed could be a symptom of Crohn’s disease.  After that procedure, having blood work, and other tests, I do not have Crohn’s disease.  But, I do have pre-diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome.  So, I am now seeing an endocrinologist and am on a low-carb diet.  Meanwhile, the tears didn’t heal, even after applying medicine on them.  So, I had another surgery.  It was the worst surgery I have ever had, and the recovery has been miserable.  I have seen a great improvement since my surgery a month ago.  I’m still in some pain from the procedure, and my tailbone is still hurting.  Through all of this, I had to home school the second semester of my 9th grade year.  It wasn’t the funnest thing in the world.  I am still seeing Dr. Sims, and what I’m about to tell you is an all God thing.  About two months ago, I was thinking about how I was going to miss the surgery staff at Nemours once I’m all healed, and I wanted some how to be able to keep in touch and help.  So, I started praying.  I prayed for three things: 1. that I would be able to volunteer at Nemours, 2. that I’d be able to help the patients, and 3. that I’d be able to keep in touch with the surgery staff and Dr. Sims.  I prayed this every single day, all day long.  That’s how much I wanted that.  I emailed Mrs. Mary, the director of the volunteer services at Nemours.  No answer.  A few days later, I saw a post about an orthopedic patient who donated a toy box to the orthopedic department at Nemours.  I thought to myself that it would be so cool if I could do the same, but for the surgery department.  I know this may sound weird, but I messaged Nemours on facebook.  The next day I got a reply, and the day after that the volunteer office called.  Mrs. Mary was out of town, and I had to call a couple days later to see when she’d be back.  I finally got to talk to her over the phone, and I am donating a toy box this Friday, July 24th.  I am going to start volunteering in November, and through this toy box, I will be able to help the patients and stay in touch with the surgery staff.  Prayers answered.  I am so thankful for all that I have gone through this past year, and all that I continue to go through. Without any of this happening, I would never be doing this toy box, never would be volunteering at Nemours, and never helping patients who need help and who need the gospel.  I pray that God will open doors through this toy box to share the gospel.  Dr. Sims and the staff have had such an impact on my life, and I am planning on going to college to be a pediatric surgeon if it is God’s will.  So, this is some of my story.  Thank you for reading all 1,696 words of it.  May God bless you, and I’ll be blogging more soon. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s